Friday, June 1, 2007

The Meaning Behind the Words

The first post, the first line, the first words are always difficult to put down. I denno what it is about writing, but it always starts that way.
Usually, I tend to write the middle or the end before the beginning, but the purpose of my words here is dependent on a very clear, crisp beginning.
Why?
This journal is to become a kind of chronicle of my new journey.

Sounds philosophical, yes?
In a way, it will be. In a way, it won't.

I have goals for once and I plan to fulfill them...and maybe writing about it will help me finally kick ass in the things I want to do.
The tendency in me is to remember things if I psych myself about it. If I tell myself I want it and that I'll feel better later, I'll get in on it, and finally do it.

My main goal is to lose weight.
Sure, I'm in college and school is tricky at times, but academia has never been a hard thing for me. Exercise, now that's an entirely different story.
So, by documenting my life a bit, maybe I can make it happen for good.

I have transferred schools, moved to a new place where I know few, few people (as in two), and don't yet have any close friends here, so it seems the perfect time and place to have a new beginning.
To verge on the edge of new-agey ridiculousness, I'm going to be reborn.

My starting weight was 185 and in the past week , I am down to 181-182. I plan to weigh Mondays and Fridays officially, though you can bet I'll be checking in between those days just because that's how I am. But, I shall record my weight here on Mondays and Fridays...so long as I remember to log on.

Currently, I walk/jog between 3 and 4 miles almost every day. The weather here has been crazy these past few days, so sometimes it's raining during the times I walk, which means I'm left to do stretches and other indoor stuff until I can get my ID card for campus...which won't be until next week.

Current weight, check. Exercise plan, check.
Diet.
Diet encompasses the first part of the title to my blog: Washoku. At the moment, I don't really take the word as totally 100% Japanese style foods and whatnot. No, for now, I'm meaning the principles behind washoku. The way to prepare food and balance it with the right nutrients in ways to create complete meals.
So far, it's a lot of fun, but I love cooking so that's no big deal. Eventually, I'll take the principles and try them out how they were originally used, with the "actual" recipes, meaning I'll be blending eastern and western to create a wholesome me. But that's a little ways off yet.

Lean.
I like this word because it can be taken in so many different ways. In part I mean I am trying to become lean-- both physically and in a dietary point of view. It can also mean that I have a tendency towards one thing or another. In this case, it's food that I have to watch out fork,
...
Fork.
What a hilariously ironic typo.
Anyway, as I was saying. Food is a big part of my plan. I am where I am now because I don't exercise hard enough and my body just loves being insulated. So, to mind my figure, I am going to need to mind my fork and my moving. To do that, I am, in a way, leaning on the principles of balanced eating and cooking.
So, it all works.
And I tend to enjoy things with more than one meaning. It creates a kind of welcoming depth.

So, this is it, I guess. The official first step in what I hope to gain sometime in the coming months.
I'm going to have a chitchat with a friend who knows body stuff well, who can give me a good time frame for realistic weight loss. That way I'll have something, some time to work towards.

Right now, though, my eventual goal is to be 145lbs. And thus, a size 8. I am currently a size 12. A loose 12, but a 12 nonetheless. And you have no idea how frustrating that is for me.
The only good thing about it is that I'm taller, so when I'm wearing the right clothes, I don't really look it, and for that I am glad. But I'm part artist, part designer, so I want to be able to wear certain things and be able to show off now and again. And right now, I can't, and that is a source of frustration and anger in me.

To recap:
Starting weight--185lbs
Current weight--181-182lbs
Target weight---145-150lbs

No comments: